Its hard to argue with success but when it comes to Bill Belichick there are a foolish few who have been known to take on the task.
Over his 44 year career, Belichick has the most playoff wins among all active professional football coaches. Additionally, he has a record five Super Bowl wins (and rings). He is the only NFL coach to win three of four Super Bowls in four years. He is widely considered as one of, if not the greatest coach in NFL history. #GOAT
His insights can help any coach, leader or achiever think straight and position themselves for consistent success.
The Power Of Leadership
#1. Good players can’t overcome bad coaching.
Team performance is leadership’s responsibility. No excuses allowed.
Leaders who take 100% responsibility for the team:
- Deal with under-performers quickly.
- Expect team members to support each other.
- Bring tough issues into the light.
- Measure what matters and display it publicly.
- Find roles where team members leverage their strengths for success.
- Own failure and honor success.
- Listen deeply.
Face The Future
#2. To live in the past is to die in the present.
#3. We can only control what we can control in the short-term.
#4. We don’t talk about last year. We don’t talk about next week. We talk about today, and we talk about the next game. That’s all we can really control. The rest of it will take care of itself.
Character Or Talent
#5. Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
#6. Success is not all about talent. It’s about dependability, consistency, and being able to improve.
#7. The one thing I’ve definitely learned is you’ve got to count on your most dependable people… It might not be your most talented people. But you count on your most dependable people…
#8. I’m going down with that person. (Referring to the dependable person.)
Serving The Team
#9. Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it’s not the best thing for you.
#10. Whatever success I’ve had it is because I’ve tried to understand the situation of the player. I think the coach’s duty is to avoid complicating matters.
Content via Dan Rockwell at Leadership Freak.
And since you’ve gotten this far, you’ll know my appreciation for Belichick is through the roof because he hired Jack Easterby to care for the soul and spirit of the Patriots. If you don’t know jack about Jack take a minute to click the link and meet the most popular man on the team and why.
Love him or hate him, please leave a comment about Belichick or the Pats before he becomes a part of the greatest NFL dynasty of all time. Thank you. Go #Pats.
Hope grows here. I write to share stories that inspire people, build faith in Jesus, and offer lasting purpose. If this material is helpful to you, please follow me.
- Subscribe. I’ll put helpful content into your email box early Mondays and Thursdays, as well as upcoming events at North Pointe Community Church, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Follow on Twitter. I daily tweet info I think you’ll be interested in.
- Friend on Facebook. If you “like” my page, let me know you found me here.
- Connect on Linkedin. I like this because it reminds me what people think I’m good at.