Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning was chosen by his National Football League (NFL) peers to receive one of the sport’s most meaningful honors, The Bart Starr Award, given annually to a player who exemplifies character and leadership on and off the field.
Since the day he was selected as the No. 1 pick in the 1998 NFL Draft, Manning has demonstrated admirable resolve to invest in every community he and his wife, Ashley, have lived in.
30 LEADERSHIP QUOTES FROM PEYTON MANNING
1. You better be prepared to be game changers or you will be left in the dust.
2. Anyone who waits for someone else to initiate change automatically becomes a follower.
3. Fierce conversations are intense…unbridled. Every leader needs to master the intense conversations,
4. Decision-making is the currency to becoming a good leader.
5. How you deal with ambiguity determines how you do everything else. I faced monumental decisions long before I was ready.
6. Very few fans get to experience the tunnel before a game. The fans are in the sunlight just beyond. When you’re in the tunnel it is the last time your emotions can affect us. On the field, you have to tune out distractions.
7. My goal is to be a game changer.
8. The quarterback is expected to lead a team of fearless, talented multi-millionaires.
9. Organizations have become too comfortable. Lazy. Unimaginative. Old ideas. Learn to thrive on being uncomfortable.
10. At the beginning of practice I start practice by throwing “odd” throws.
12. As competitors we are all looking for an edge to maximize our outcomes.
13. Invest in a coach. It doesn’t matter how seasoned any of us are. We all need a coach. As soon as someone stops learning to be coached, they’re in big trouble.
14. As a leader, delivering help trumps offering hope any day of the week.
15. Find a way to instill trust in others.
16. Leaders cannot afford to allow changes to drag them down. They need to be stimulated by the changes.
17. Bravely adjust to realities.
18. Become a master observer.
19. Look at things no one else is willing to look at.
20. Focus on things that are normally taken for granted. We learn when we observe.
21. All leaders need to set personal goals to motivate themselves but affect team success. Otherwise, they are empty accolades.
22. No one can lead without people to follow. Understand the sustained power and influence which flow from your relationships with people.
23. You’re going to receive a lot of criticism, most of it unsolicited.
24. You can’t be afraid to work on your weaknesses. You get better or you get worse everyday. You don’t stay the same.
25. You can’t lead until you’ve earned the respect of the people you’re leading.
26. I got up from every hit.
27. You earn respect by working, not by talking.
28. I always appreciate my dad being at my games.
29. We want loyalty in our coaches and leaders.
30. It’s all about finishing. At halftime, you’ve got to be careful. Don’t get comfortable
APPLICATION: Which quote did you like the best?
Pointes of View exists in order to help people grow their faith in Jesus, build healthy relationships and effectively live out their purpose.
- Subscribe. You’ll get helpful content in your email box on Mondays and Thursdays, as well as upcoming events at North Pointe Community Church, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Follow on Twitter. Daily tweets with info I think you’ll be interested in.
- Friend on Facebook. If you “Friend” my page, let me know you found me here.
- Connect on Linkedin. I like this because it reminds me what people think I’m good at.