That’s bad news for patience.
Patience as a virtue is seen as a weak sister to the other virtues.
However, “have patience” is not a passive, psychological ploy to placate people plateaued on their pilgrimage to achievement.
Patience is robust. Its a heroic word, on par with “endurance” and “perseverance.”
THE VALUE OF PATIENCE
Where do you land of the patience continuum?
“1…2…BOOM!” 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 “I LOVE snails!”
According to Father Greg Boyle, The Desert Fathers, when they were disconsolate and without hope would chant one word – not “God” or “Jesus” or “Love.” (Tattoos on the Heart, p. 159)
They would chant the word “Today.”
It kept them where they needed to be, in the moment.
Now is all we have. Today matters.
The miracle of Today is not that we could walk on water but that we could walk on the green grass of earth and not lose hope.
FAITH, HOPE AND LOVE
Love is Patience with others.
Hope is Patience with myself.
9 INSIGHTS TO PATIENCE
1. Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.
2. Patience is the ability to count down before you blast off.
3. Patience is the ability to embrace, without complaint, the time life takes.
4. Patience is the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.
5. Patience is the level of endurance one can take before negativity.
6. Patience is the state of endurance under difficult circumstances.
7. Patience is persevering in the face of delay or provocation without acting on negative annoyance/anger.
8. Patience is expectantly waiting for a promise to be fulfilled.
AN ACROSTIC DEFINITION
Attitude in check
God is a God who waits. Who are you not to be?
In 12 step recovery programs they often say, “it takes what it takes.” True enough when it comes to change that matters.
APPLICATION: Which of the seeds of patience will you plant today in your life? Please leave a comment below. Thank you.
Pointes of View exists in order to help people grow their faith in Jesus, build healthy relationships and effectively live out their purpose.
- Subscribe. You’ll get helpful content in your email box on Mondays and Thursdays, as well as upcoming events at North Pointe Community Church, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Follow on Twitter. Daily tweets with info I think you’ll be interested in.
- Friend on Facebook. If you “Friend” my page, let me know you found me here.
- Connect on Linkedin. I like this because it reminds me what people think I’m good at.