Our local “greatest hits” FM station was playing on my car radio. I was traveling south and encountered a funeral procession heading north. Reality interfaced with entertainment.
Ironically, the song playing on the radio was Bon Jovi’s “It’s My Life.”
Its My Life
As the lengthy procession passed by I wondered if the deceased had ever said, or sung, ”It’s my life! I just want to live while I’m alive.” How long had they lived? Was their death sudden? Were they happy with their life? Did they accomplish their goals? Were they a person of religious faith? Did they think their life mattered?
Jon Bon Jovi, reflecting on the broad appeal of his song said, “When I was writing ‘It’s My Life’, I thought I was writing very self-indulgently about my own life and where I was in it. I didn’t realize that the phrase ‘It’s My Life’ would be taken as being about everyone – teenagers, older guys, mechanics, whoever. “It’s my life, and I’m taking control. Everyone kind of feels that way from time to time.” The song struck a chord and soared to #1 worldwide in 2000.
Talk about tapping into the collective conscious.
Living Is The Trick
Red Smith, the late NY Times sports columnist wrote, “Dying is no big deal. The least of us will manage that. Living is the trick.”
So how are you doing with that?
January is such a timely month to think about living. Are you happy with your life? Do you know that you matter? What are your hopes and dreams for 2019?
What better time than today to make a change.
3 Choices For Change
1. You can’t choose where you came from but you can choose where you go from here. Envision new beginnings or start overs. Shed the disappointments of yesterday and schedule purposeful appointments for your success in the coming year.
2. Set aside time to meet with God. Daily. Don’t lean solely on your own understanding. Determine in all your ways to acknowledge God. Trust God to direct your steps.
3. To borrow from Jon Bon, “Each one of you has something no one else has, or has ever had: your fingerprints, your brain, your heart. Be an individual. Be unique. Stand out. Make noise. Make someone notice. That’s the power of individuals.”
Writing is a craft that I will amplify this year. I will make 2019 a year to stand out, make noise and leave my fingerprints on life changes for readers wherever God and the digital world take my words.
No reserves, retreats or regrets.
Take a lesson from Jon Bon. It’s your life. Make it a hit.
I would really appreciate knowing in which city or town you are reading this post. Please let me know below. And if you were to share this post on your social media platforms I would be honored. Thank you and have an awesome year!
Hope grows here. I write to share stories that inspire people, build faith in Jesus, and offer lasting purpose. If this material is helpful to you, please follow me.
- Subscribe. I’ll put helpful content into your email box early Mondays and Thursdays, as well as upcoming events at North Pointe Community Church, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Follow on Twitter. I daily tweet info I think you’ll be interested in.
- Friend on Facebook. If you “like” my page, let me know you found me here.
- Connect on Linkedin. I like this because it reminds me what people think I’m good at.